Our occupational therapists can conduct an initial functional needs assessment to examine your ability to perform normal daily activities. They can then develop strategies to make these activities easier.
About the assessment
We come to your home for this assessment so we can see how you function in your most familiar environment. We may need to assess your ability to manage personal care, domestic tasks and community access/participation.
This assessment shows which functional activities are most important to you. This helps us establish goals and treatment priorities to help you get back to living your best life as soon as possible.
Then your occupational therapist will discuss strategies to improve your function, including rehabilitation, compensation strategies and even modifications to your environment.
During the assessment, the therapist may:
- interview you to establish your needs
- observe and measure how you perform everyday activities
- assess your physical state, including range of motion, manual muscle testing and pain scale
- assess your cognitive state (depending on your medical needs and condition)
We estimate that this service will take approximately 8–10 hours.
- up to two home visits
- report writing
- liaising with other supports/treaters involved in your care
- travel to appointments
Additional hours may be needed to carry out any therapist recommendations that could help you achieve your goals in the longer term.